Home | Unpaid Carers | Adult Carers (Over 25) | Info & Support | Important Information for Carers | Benefits for Carers
Back to Important Information for Carers

Benefits for Carers

Below is an overview of benefits available to unpaid carers. For more information or to find out if you are entitled to any of them please contact the Welfare Rights Team on welfarerights@pkc.gov.uk or call them on 01738 476900 (Option 1). You may also contact our Adult Carers Support Workers for more information or guidance on your financial maximisation on 01738 567076.

Carer’s Allowance

The main state benefit that carers can apply for is Carer’s Allowance – this is the only benefit specifically for carers, however not all carers will qualify for this benefit. You don’t have to be living with the person you care for or related to them but there are some conditions attached to this benefit, including:

How much is Carers Allowance?

At the moment Carer’s Allowance is £67.25 a week. However before making a claim, always check with the person you are caring for as your claim may affect any means-tested benefits they are receiving.

Please note: The Carer’s Allowance DS700 forms and notes have been updated with new versions. Please ensure you are using the correct forms when making a claim if you are unable to complete the form online. The link below will take you to the correct forms.

Carer’s Allowance Supplement

Carer’s Allowance Supplement (CAS) is an additional payment paid by Social Security Scotland to those being paid Carer’s Allowance. CAS is paid twice a year. There is no application process. The payments will be paid automatically via the same method as your Carer’s Allowance.  There are two qualifying dates on which Carer’s Allowance must have been paid, further information can be found on the Scottish Government website.

Young Carer Grant

The Young Carer Grant is a new yearly cash payment of £300 for 16-18 year olds which carers can spend as they choose. Young carers can claim if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed and may be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Please note, that Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people with a long-term health condition or disability aged 16 to State Retirement Age. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money for people who have extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

There are two parts called components, the daily living component and the mobility component. You may qualify for one or both of them.

For more information about PIP please visit – www.pkc.gov.uk/pip

Disability Living Allowance for children (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

The DLA rate is between £23.60 and £151.40 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs. It is tax-free and is disregarded as an income for means-tested benefits. If awarded, you can get an increase in Child Tax Credit. 

For more information about DLA please visit – www.gov.uk/disability-living-allowance-children

Attendance Allowance (AA)

Attendance Allowance is money for people from State Retirement Age onwards who have care needs. You may have care needs if you need help with activities of daily living such as getting dressed, going to the toilet or having someone to look after your so you do not hurt yourself.

Attendance Allowance is payable at two rates as follows:

Lower Rate – If you have day time needs only OR if you have night time needs only then you could get the lower rate of Attendance Allowance. This is £55.65 per week from April 2017.  

Higher Rate – If you have both day time AND  night time needs or satisfy the special rules, you could get the higher rate of Attendance Allowance. This is £83.10 per week from April 2017.  

For more information about Attendance Allowance please visit – www.pkc.gov.uk/aa

Carer’s Credit

Carer’s Credits mean carers can be ‘credited’ with Class 3 national insurance contributions to help them qualify for other benefits which they may not otherwise have been eligible for if their caring responsibilities prevented them from being able to work and pay national insurance contributions in the normal way.

Applies to: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

Age rules: You must be 16 or over but under state pension age

Apply for Carer’s Credit through: Department for Work and Pensions

For more information on Carers Credit please visit – www.gov.uk/carers-credit 

For further information and advice on any of the above benefits please email welfarerights@pkc.gov.uk or call them on 01738 476900 (Option 1)

Help with Council Tax

If you live with the person you care for your Council Tax liability may be reduced because:

For more information, on the above, click below.

Short Breaks for Carers

You may also be entitled to some time off from your caring role. For more information, check our Short Breaks section or click here.

This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.