Travelling Independently

Perth and Kinross Council have a list of services for independent travel that may help support the person you care for and make travelling a little easier. Below is a breakdown of some these services but to access the full details please visit:

Public Transport 

National Entitlement Card

If you have a disability and are resident in Scotland you could be entitled to free local and national bus travel. The National Entitlement Card application form (NCT001) is available from Council offices and libraries in Perth and Kinross. The NEC offers carers many public services including:

  • Bus pass
  • Library card
  • Leisure membership card
  • Young Scot Card

This card can be used for:

  • Free/discounted concessionary travel on public transport
  • Library membership
  • Health reward initiatives e.g. smoking cessation schemes
  • Cashless payment methods to pre-order sheltered housing meals etc.
  • Young scot card – allowing young persons to access rewards and discounts

For more information and to apply visit:  

You can also obtain an application form by contacting the Customer Service Centre, tel 01738 475000 or email

Bus passes with companion entitlement (C+1)

Persons from the age of 5 years, whose mobility is such that they require to be accompanied when travelling, can apply for a Companion Concessionary Card. This card allows both the eligible person and one companion to travel free of charge together for the same journey by bus. The companion can vary from journey to journey providing they board and alight the bus at the same locations as the card holder.

There is no need for a companion cardholder to be accompanied on all journeys they make. They have the choice of whether to travel on their own or whether to have a companion with them. You must qualify under set criteria and provide evidence of eligibility with your application.

If you have any queries about how to apply for an Entitlement Card, please contact Perth & Kinross Council’s Customer Service Centre on 01738 47500 or email


A unique online access guide to a variety of different venues in Perth & Kinross, developed by disabled people for disabled people. It gives free online access to over 1,000 public venues across Perth & Kinross. 

The guide is easy to find and use. Simply visit to search places in Perth and Kinross. A shorter guide booklet can also be prepared for anyone with difficulties accessing the internet.

Thistle Assistance Card

The aim of the Thistle Assistance Card is to help anyone who has difficulty using public transport because of their age, disability or illness. It will quickly and easily tell the bus driver about any extra help you may need during your journey.

How does it work?

  • Your card will have a sticker on it which shows your disability and the help you need i.e. hard of hearing, visually impaired, difficulty with mobility. The card can also tell the driver to let you know once you are at a certain stop, or if he could wait till you’re seated before driving off.
  • When using public transport, show the card to the bus driver, who will then be able to quickly see what you need.
  • On the back of the card, you can add any extra details that you may think will be useful to the bus driver.

To access this service please contact or visit:

  • Puller House on 01738 475000 or email at Address: 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
  • Centre for Inclusive Living on 01738 500001 or email Address: 90 Tay Street, Perth, PH2 8NP

More information can be found at

Scot Talk App

The Scot Talk Traveline Scotland app provides comprehensive travel information to help plan your journeys in Scotland

Parking and the Blue Badge Scheme 

The Blue Badge scheme is designed to help disabled people who have severe mobility problems lead independent lives by allowing them to park near to a venue and have easier access to the services they want to use. 

For more information please visit

This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.