(Available at The Walled Garden)
Our “hidden gem” walled garden is a fully organic space. We use nothing but natural methods, creating a safe environment for everyone including the beautiful wildlife.
Every day is different in the garden and there is always something to do. Our garden clients help with the sustainability of the garden – weeding to growing, harvesting to pruning, painting to grass cutting. In the garden we grow a variety of fruit and vegetables, many of which are used within our café. We grow all of our vegetable crops from seed; growing them outdoors, in our large polytunnel and/or greenhouses. We give clients the opportunity to learn new crop skills and sample what is grown. We work on propagating plants from seeds and cuttings gathered in the garden; experimenting and trying different techniques. Composting, recycling and upcycling is important to keep our garden unique and eco-friendly.
Benefits of gardening for mental health include:
- Better physical health through exercise and learning how to use or strengthen our muscles
- Improved self-esteem and confidence through a sense of purpose and achievement
- The opportunity to connect with others – reducing feelings of isolation or exclusion
- Learning new skills and building on existing skills; all of which can be utilised at home
- Nature boosts endorphin levels and dopamine production, which promotes happiness
Wisecraft also has a small garden to the side of the premises. The project “Wellbeing Blooms @ the Wisecraft Garden” is a small peer led project that is an additional activity for clients and volunteers to engage in while at Wisecraft.